Who We Are
Epoch Times Belgium (‘we’ or ‘us’ or ‘our’) gathers and processes your personal data in accordance with this privacy notice and in compliance with the relevant data protection regulations and laws. This notice provides you with the necessary information regarding your rights and obligations, and explains how, why and when we collect and process your personal data.
The registered office of Epoch Times Belgium is at Eeuwfeestlaan 38, 9840 De Pinte, Belgium. We can be contacted by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information That We Collect
When you use the Services, e.g., purchase a subscription or other products, browse our sites, use our apps, complete a survey, etc., your personal information is collected by Epoch Times Belgium.
Personal information is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
Epoch Times Belgium uses and processes your personal information to meet our legal, statutory and contractual obligations and to provide you with our products and services. We will never collect any unnecessary personal data from you and do not process your information in any way, other than already specified in this notice.
The personal information is collected in several different ways, including: registration forms, billing, user generated content (e.g., comments), survey, contacting our service center, different cookies and tracking technologies, other sources.
The personal information that we may collect includes:
• Email (only applicable to account registration for our newsletter service and subscription)
• billing information, such as your name, address, telephone number (only applicable to subscription of certain paid services)
• IP address
• browser type
• device type
• operating system
• user activity/behaviors on our sites, apps.
Cookies and Ad-Targeting Technologies
The third-party partners we use include:
• service provider, Google: to provide Google Analytics (as Analytics Cookies) to analyze behavior of your use of our sites and apps, in order to adapt our services and provide you with a better experience;
• service providers, FaceBook and Twitter (Social Media Cookies): to enable the sharing of content through social media sites and otherwise allow you to interact or connect with such sites while using our platforms;
• advertising partners: Google (Google Ad Manager) and Lotame: to collect information about your activities on our sites and apps, and serve you personalized advertising.
How We Use Your Personal Data
Epoch Times Belgium takes your privacy very seriously and will never disclosure or sell your data without your consent, unless required to do so by laws. We only retain your data for as long as is necessary and for the purposes specified in this notice. The purposes and reasons for processing your personal data are detailed below:
• to improve the contents of the sites and apps to serve you, make them more suitable to your needs and increase their usability;
• to make your navigation more pleasant and personalized, with our products (such as contents) and services personalized to you;
• to facilitate your experience and social sharing;
• to analyze and develop our new products and services for the interest of users;
• in specific cases we will be contractually obligated to share your data with one of our third party partners explained above. In these instances, we will make it clear that the third party partners, which the data you share will be transferred to, follow international privacy data protection regulations.
Sharing Your Personal Information
We may share your personal data with the following entities:
• our affiliated companies;
• third-party service providers, such as Google, to analyze how users use our websites and apps, track user interests, trends and patterns in order to serve you personalized content which is relevant to your interests;
• third-party advertising partners, such as Google, Lotame, in order to serve personalized, relevant ads while you are on our sites and apps.
International Transfers of Personal Information
Our third-party service providers such as Google, Lotame, Facebook, and Twitter are U.S. companies. They comply with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework Principles (the “Privacy Shield Principles”) with respect to the collection, use and transfer of personal data between the European Economic Area and the U.S. This ensures international transfer of personal data between the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, and US in full compliance with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) at a high level of the protection of personal data, in case such international transfer takes place.
Epoch Times Belgium takes your privacy seriously and we take every reasonable measure and precaution to protect and secure your personal data. We work hard to protect you and your information from unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction and have certain qualified security measures in place.
Encryption is our security strategy to ensure the stored personal data can be accessed only by the authorized roles and services with audited access to the encryption keys.
Personal data is encrypted and stored in a private and isolated environment for extended security.
We store all personal data we may collect from the EEA and Switzerland in Epoch Times Belgium EU Data Center, physically located inside EU. This is where all processing of this data takes place.
Consequences of Not Providing Your Data
You are not obligated to provide your personal information to Epoch Times Belgium, however, as this information is required for us to provide you with our services/deliver products, we will not be able to offer some/all of our products or services without it.
How Long We Keep Your Data
Epoch Times Belgium retains your personal data for as long as necessary for the purpose for which it is collected, to provide you with our services as our users on sites and apps.
Your Rights Under General Data Protection Regulation
If you are a resident from the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland, EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) grants you the right to access any personal information that Epoch Times Belgium processes about you and to request information about:
• what personal data we hold about you
• the purposes of the processing
• the categories of personal data concerned
• the recipients to whom the personal data has/will be disclosed
• how long we intend to store your personal data for
• if we did not collect the data directly from you, information about the source.
If you believe that we hold any incomplete or inaccurate data about you, you have the right to ask us to correct and/or complete the information and we will strive to update/correct it as quickly as possible; unless there is a valid reason for not doing so, at which point you will be notified.
You also have the right to request erasure of your personal data or to restrict processing in accordance with data protection laws, as well as to object to any direct marketing from us and to be informed about any automated decision-making that we use.
If we receive a request from you to exercise any of the above rights, we may ask you to verify your identity before acting on the relevant request; this is to ensure that your data is protected and kept secure.
Please bear in mind that if you exercise such rights, this may affect our ability to provide our products and services.
Individuals Under 16
Epoch Times Belgium does not intentionally and knowingly process personal information from individuals under the age of 16. Personal data of users under the age of 16 will be processed only if consent is given or authorized by the holder of parental responsibility over the child. We will make every reasonable effort to verify in such cases.
Lodging a Complaint
Epoch Times Belgium only processes your personal information in compliance with this privacy notice and in accordance with the relevant data protection laws. If, however you wish to raise a complaint regarding the processing of your personal data or are unsatisfied with how we have handled your information, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority.
Epoch Times Belgium
If you have other questions, please contact us by email on: email@example.com
This statement was last updated on Dec 17, 2019.